A good massage, a relaxing nap, good music, and coffee are the best choices after a bad day. even, you may sometimes feel stiffness after some exercises. But, what is that good massage for these situations? I will introduce you the best way which helps you physically and mentally; It is named deep tissue massage!
It prepares the body strength and a good mood for the week ahead. This perfect mood lasts at least a week. Even if you are getting better from an illness or you feel tired, deep tissue massage can help you recover faster and feel better.
What do you know about deep tissue massage? Have you ever tried it? by Reading this article, you will know the truth about it, its benefits and what you should consider before deep tissue massage. being consciously massaged can help you in a better way!
What is deep tissue massage
Deep tissue massage is one of the most favorite universal massage techniques. Its origin goes back to ancient Egypt. In recent centuries, Canadians started to use this massage. Then it came to America and other parts of the world.
This specific massage is often suitable for people who are comfortable with some more intense touches. In a tissue massage session, the therapist will practice the strokes slowly and deeply with firm pressure. The goal is to reach the internal layers of connective fascia, tendons, and the muscles.
What is The difference between tissue massage and other massages
Tissue massage differs from other massages. Besides its usage, the pressure in tissue massage is much deeper than other types of massage like Acupressure and Swedish massage. In addition, it is less rhythmic than other types of massage but therapeutic to treat the injuries.
which massage techniques would be used in Deep Tissue Massage
Some of the techniques used in a deep tissue massage session are basic methods of it, but the therapists shape them based on their preferences.
Traditional or manual techniques used in deep tissue massage session are:
- Myofascial release
- Cross fiber work
- Positional release,
- Trigger point therapy,
- Use of stainless steel tools
- Range of motion (both passive and active) with pin
- Stripping of the focal adhesions
- Breath work
What are deep tissue massage benefits
Deep tissue massage offers psychological and physical benefits. It means that unlike other techniques, which their goal is just relaxing the mind, this type of massage also has benefits on problems related to body and muscles. Tissue massage increases the blood flow and decreases the inflammation and as a result, the healing speed will raise.
Deep tissue massage is helpful to:
- Treat musculoskeletal issues like strains and sports injuries
- Break scar tissue that follows an injury
- Reduce tension in muscle and tissue in the rhomboids, legs, glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps, IT band
- Decrease blood pressure and heart rate
- Increase releasing oxytocin (a hormone related to empathy, trust, sexual activity, and relationship-building
- Improve function of the heart and lungs
- Recovery from injuries like whiplash, falls
- Sports injuries
- Plantar fasciitis with pain in the heel and arch areas
- High blood pressure
- Limited mobility
- Muscle spasm or strain
- Tennis elbow
- Eases chronic aches and pain; a stiff neck and upper back and low back pain
- Sore shoulders
- Leg muscle tightness
- Helps the mind and body relax
- Stress relief
- Chronic tension and vascular headaches and migraines (two 30-minute massages weekly for a period of four weeks)
- Posterior interosseous syndrome
- Repetitive strain injury like carpal tunnel syndrome
- Piriformis syndrome
- Postural problem
- Osteoarthritis pain
What happens during deep tissue massage
Before starting deep tissue massage:
- Your massage therapist will ask you about your problems to know which part he/she should work on, the entire body or just one area. Then,
- The therapist will ask you to undress based on your comfort and then lie on the back or stomach.
In the first level, your tissue massage therapist warms up the muscles by light touch to prepare the muscles. Then he/she will work on your problem areas using deep stroking and kneading with variable intense pressure.
During deep tissue massage:
- Breathe deeply and relax your body while the massage therapist is working on stiff parts; you will feel more at ease.
- It is common and natural if you felt happy and euphoric during the massage; let it fill you all; oxytocin and serotonin are washing your stress away.
- If you feel pain during deep tissue massage, be patient and let the masseur do his job. If the pain continued, tell the therapist to slow the action, adjust the technique, prepare the muscle or stop the massage.
After deep tissue massage:
- Drink some water after the massage; this will help you to export the metabolic waste from the tissue.
- If you had continuous pain during the tissue massage meet a doctor.
- Having some soreness for two days after the massage is not unusual. Use a heating pad or cold pack will help to relieve it.
What should deep tissue massage clients consider
First of all:
- If you had the following problems, consult with a doctor and ask him if deep tissue massage is suitable for you or not. Because firm pressures used in this massage is not safe for everybody:
- If you have a bleeding disorder like hepatic hematoma (this massage may cause bruising)
- If you take blood thinners
- If you had or have a clotting disorder. You may become dislodged.
- If you are under treatment for cancer such as radiation or chemotherapy.
- If you have osteoporosis or cancer, which spread to the bones. The pressure may cause a fracture.
- If you’re pregnant. Swedish massage or pregnancy massage is better for you!
- If you have a skin infection or an open wound
- If you’ve had recent surgery
- The people with osteoporosis
- If there is skin rashes, inflamed or infected skin, bruises on your body.
- It should not be done on abdominal hernia, areas of recent fractures, fragile bones, tumors, venous thromboembolism and spinal accessory neuropathy
- Do not ask a regular spa to do tissue massage for you! Find a well-trained tissue massage therapist. Having a professional and qualified masseur will guarantee a better result from tissue massage.
- Make sure the therapist is licensed to practice tissue massage, so ask the massage therapist for credentials
Happy relaxing with deep tissue massage!!!