Massage therapy can help your body posture to realign in a proper and pain-free position. It helps to relax muscle tension and soreness that comes with bad posture. In addition, a result of a more relaxed and free body is greater flexibility and a higher range of motion which can improve your overall health and wellbeing.
Your upper and lower back muscles are likely to get hurt when you use or move them suddenly and with too much pressure, including sitting at your desk for a long time or lifting heavy objects. Back Massage is a great way to help your back muscles get relieved from tension and pain as well as regaining their natural and organic posture.
What Are the Advantages of Back Massage
Back massage includes any type of massage that is carried out on your back muscles and can help your backache. Shared by almost all approved massage types, any type of back massage can be considered as a non-invasive supplementary therapy that can help you attain a number of incredible benefits through the trained hands of a skillful physical therapist, a massage therapist, or an osteopath.
In case of any past experience of back massage, you probably know the sense of relief you get after a few minutes of massage movements and gliding strokes on your back. But, what exactly does happen during a massage session? Here is a list of a few back massage benefits:
- Promoting the production of happiness hormones and decreasing cortisol levels: Endorphins, dopamine, and serotonin are among body chemicals that are responsible for promoting happiness and cortisol is among those which make you feel blues or stressed out. Any effective massage type can stimulate the production of happiness hormones in your brain and as well reduce the level of cortisol. With a more enhanced good mood, you will be likely to feel lower levels of pain and anxiety. It can also speed up the recovery of your weak, tight, or atrophied muscles.
- Increasing blood circulation: Massage manipulations can help to unknot your back stiffness and the result would be a freer space for your veins and vessels to deliver nutrition as well as removing waste materials. This can lead to a higher temperature and also higher joint flexibility and range of motion which means you will physically feel better while you are sitting again at your work desk or having another intense workout session. Moreover, increased blood flow can help muscle recovery and decrease muscle tenderness.
- Better oxygen delivery: In addition to the previous advantage, unknotted muscles also help to supply your back cells with a higher level of oxygen. Oxygen helps your body eliminate toxins as well as viruses and harmful bacteria. It also increases your body’s metabolism, turns more fat and carbohydrates into energy, fuels your muscles, strengthens your muscles, promotes the function of body systems such as the immune system, nervous system, digestive system, etc.
- Decreased muscle tension: While you are trying to focus on an important overdue project, you may not care much about your immobile body which you force to stand or sit still for long hours. Too much pressure or wrong repetitive motions during an intense workout session can also make your muscles stiff and tense. The final result would be a severely painful lower or upper back which does not allow you to move naturally! A back massage can help you deal with the pain and strain you have forced on your back muscles. It frees and relaxes the muscles, helps to alleviate pain and helps the muscles become flexible again.
- Improving sleep quality: Any sleeping position can be painful with a sore back. Soothed muscles and higher endorphin levels can help you sleep deeper and longer. More restful sleep hours can support a faster and more optimal recovery which itself results in more efficient physical performance.
What Massage Types Can Relieve the Tension of Your Back Muscles
There are a number of various massages such as hot stone massage, shiatsu massage, Thai yoga massage, deep tissue massage, etc. that can help you with your backache. Nevertheless, most of these massage types need you to spend at least an hour in a massage room. Moreover, there are a few massage prerequisites for most massage types that not all people are comfortable with, such as the need for having your clothes off or lubricating your skin by massage oil or lotion.
You may not have enough time, you may not feel comfortable enough to get undressed, you may be allergic to massage oils and lotions, or you may have any other problem with the above-mentioned massage types, and yet you still feel muscle ache at your upper or lower back. If so, then the massage type which suits you is probably a nice and enjoyable chair massage.
Why Chair Massage Is One of the Ideal Massage Types for Backache
Chair massage is a brief massage type that normally takes you only 10 to 15 minutes during which you can stay fully clothed. Rather than a massage table, a chair massage is typically carried out on a standard chair, where you sit with your face forward while your body front and arms are supported by the chair. Your head is also placed in a padded cradle that supports the muscles of your neck and upper back.
Chair massage is a great massage type to relieve your back pain and tension since your back, neck, and shoulders are completely exposed to the massage therapist. Almost all the aforementioned values of a practically efficient back massage can be obtained by chair massage therapy. Moreover, there are great privileges that make chair massage an even greater massage type to soothe your back stiffness.
Unlike the massage types that are conducted on a massage table, during a chair massage, the therapist can stand in various angles and apply different levels of pressure on your muscles which makes the massage more effective. Moreover, the fact that chair massage is shorter than other massage types makes it affordable in respect of both time and money. In addition, this type of massage needs no undressing or application of massage lotions. Therefore, chair massage is appropriate to be performed in public places such as airports, malls, events, conferences, or even at work offices. In other words, through an adequately conducted chair massage, you can relieve your back tension and pain almost anywhere and in a short space of time.