Massage Envy is the largest massage franchise in North America. The question is how did it happen?
Massage is not just a luxury. It’s a way to a happier and healthier life
Massage envy – Massage envy franchising LLC is a United States-based company that provides massages and skincare services and products. Massage Envy headquarter is at 14350 N. at 87th st. , Scottsdale, Arizona. This therapeutic massage company serves all across America and They have the largest franchise network In the US with 1,200 franchise (according to 2018) in 49 us states and 35,000 employees. It has been 17 years now since they are providing franchisees. They use a membership plan business model that differentiates them from others… And helps them to gain profit. They provide more than 100 million massages and facials to 1.65 million people per year.
Leadership of massage envy
Founder and Ceo (chief executive officer)- Jhon Leonesio is the founder of massage envy. He has founded this company 18 years ago in 2002. In just 6 years he took his thought to $300 million services and got awarded by 800 licenses & awards…
Ceo- Beth stiller is the current CEO of the brand and also the first women leader of the brand. Beth stiller started to serve massage envy on Nov25 2019, and serving the brand till now…
Joe magnacca was the former CEO of massage envy. He had served massage envy from January 2016 to late 2019. He had also served Walgreen.co in the year 2013 as a chief executive officer then he started working in Radioshack corp from 02/2013 to 04/2015. At last, he served massage envy from 02/2016 till 11/2019… and now he got retired last year and now taking a rest from the social world…
History of massage envy
We need to mention all information provided in this article is based on the author’s researchers at the time that this article is published
Massage Envy is a massage and facial services providing company that is founded by jhon leonesio in 2002. Jhon leonesio is a fashion and massage entrepreneur who is running 4 massage providing companies now, And his first company was massage envy. Let’s see a brief history of the brand.
Massage envy was founded in 2002 and they started franchising in 2003 which is very soon for a startup but it was a turning point for the company and by 2008 the brand has 8,000 professional employees at 420 independently owned franchisees in 36 US states, Which shows how fast they were growing. In 2009 they had decided to expand their membership-based plan by adding facials and spa with massage, and they got 650 franchised locations by late 2010, which means they made 230 franchisees in only two years. According to Forbes in 2012 they ranked number 20 in “Top 20 franchises for the buck”. Now, After 18 years you can see how fast they have grown that only in 10 years they have come up to no. 1 from no. 20.
What are the reasons behind Massage Envy's success
Massage Envy is the hugest massage franchise empire in North America. What are the points of massage envy that made this company the largest massage franchise in America? In my opinion, the only few reasons behind their success are:
- Risk-taking ability
- Measuring the risk correctly and carefully before doing it.
- Better advisory groups
- Better leadership
- Better marketing
- Value-adding to consumers life
- Satisfied consumers
What services massage Envy offers
The brand is providing so many services that it will take you plenty of days to experience them all… we are providing you a list of all the services they are providing so that it will be easy for you to choose…
Membership plan at Massage Envy
There are not so many membership plans to confuse you. They only have a few membership plans and the first is $60-$70/ month, if you want to take a six-month plan at once it will cost you $360 but you have to give $50 as enrollment fee while taking the membership the third and last is one year plan with costs $720 to $840 for the whole year… (This is an avg. data of all location of massage envy in the US you may not get the equal price we have written above. )
If you are taking their membership you should also know about the benefits
- They will charge you less than non-members (like if you are a member and went to take 1-hour massage it will
- cost you around $50 but a nonmember has to pay around $99),
- You will get their best product At a nominal price,
- You will get unlimited discounted sessions
- If you are a massage envy member your membership will be valid all across America.
- If you do refer any of your friends you will earn a free massage on every referral
- Your unused massages will not expire it will go in your credit for the next month
- Military discount program, if you are a military soldier at any rank you are gonna save $60 per year
How to cancel Massage Envy membership
Massage Envy membership plan contract is a binding contract. Most of the time getting out of this contract before the date the contract gets expire is hard and sometimes require to pay a cancellation fee. Massage Envy gives this opportunity to clients to freeze their membership for a short period of time which normally is 2 months. After those two months, Massage Envy starts to charge your credit card for their monthly payments. There are two conditions that you can cancel the Massage Envy membership plan almost without a major issue
- If you move to somewhere further than 25 miles from any Massage Envy franchises
- If you have a note from your doctor that mentions massage is not good for your health
Other than these two situations it is very hard to get out of the contract prior to the time that contract gets expire because the Massage Envy contract is a binding contract. With signing that you have agreed with all of its terms and conditions.
The negative side of Massage Envy
It is said that every coin has two sides and it gets fits on every person, company, organization… it is said truly that everyone in the world has two faces one is the good (angel) side while the other is the Bad (devil) side… envy has also some negative points which are so abnormal and it shows how irresponsible the company is and how poor there company rules are… however these mistakes were made by independent franchises but the allegations are made on the company so the company should know their responsibility and take an action on it.
- Therapists’ Wages: Thousands of therapists quit from massage envy because of their low wages policy. Most massage franchises like massage envy pay very low wages to massage therapists. This is only one reason for therapists quitting, therefore a client who signed up a membership base on a massage that she got from a specific therapist gets upset after she figures out that her favorite therapist has left Massage envy.
- They also don’t pay a single penny as compensation to their employees in the hours when no clients have seen.
- They got the ways to make therapists working 8-9 hours per which is unrelatable in the massage/fashion industry. People also call them sweatshops.
- Massage Envy membership plan is a binding contract and it is very hard for clients to get out of that contract.
Having a Massage Envy franchise
In this topic, we are gonna tell you the basic requirements to be a part of The Massage Envy franchise. We will not be discussing legal procedure…
First of all, we should know how much we have to invest to take a franchise. If you want to take a massage envy franchise your initial capital should be $481,400 to $898,700. You should have $500,000 as your liquid cash in which you have a $150,000 liquid cash. Once you opened your franchise you will have to give $45,000 as an ongoing fee+ 6% royalty fee+ 6% ad fee. After all the financial procedure, you will be get trained first of all they will give you a training of 12.5 days on your site, and then they will call you to their headquarter for a 35.5 hours training, if you want to learn more you can request them for an extra training they will provide it to you as much as you request. You should have 20 employees with you to run the franchise.
After completing all procedures you can start running the franchise and on an avg. you will earn $159,746 per annum which is a good amount and it will take only 6-7 years to get back your capital… (A massage envy owner can earn between $61,466 – $319,492)